Thursday, October 29, 2009

Character Essay

The concept of self-identity holds many different interpretations amongst the range of studied fields of social science, psychology, and philosophy. All definitions, however, hold that self-identity is established by self-perception. One’s self-perception can be established through a variety of sources, yet it is common knowledge that it is easiest for a person to identify with a fictional character from the media.
As a student at UWM, I find myself identifying with a stereotype of a rich, white, suburban young man. Initial reactions from my social interactions with others typically include looks of disgust, rolling eyes, and other common gestures to accommodate the “Oh, you’re from Brookfield” stereotype that I have been born into. Most people seem to affiliate the idea of coming from Brookfield with having limitless money. Truth be told, that affiliation is far from true. In addition to the prejudicial labels placed on me at UWM, they are frequently placed on me in other scenarios as well, namely work. These ideas have come from the historical stereotype of “from Brookfield.”
Perhaps it is the local media, or the rumors that fill the minds of neighboring suburbs, but the source of these notions of “from Brookfield” are non-credible, in addition to flat out wrong.
The only other way one could identify with knowing as little about me other than my appearance is that I fit within the “Caucasian” race. This is hardly an identifier of my identity because the term “Caucasian” has been implemented to represent any skin tone that is considered light. My personal “Caucasian” self-identity is only used when filling out government related forms, as I am left with no other feasible option.
Overall, I find the only prejudicial images that I battle continuously are the ones affiliated with where I am from. Though I am considered a student, I can’t really identify with a particular group; as generalizations are much harder to make and assume, but more importantly; for society to agree upon. Otherwise, I self-identify with the “Caucasian” image (or stereotype) the most living my everyday life.

No comments:

Post a Comment